GAS WATCH 13
27 March, 2007
Preparations for drilling have started
a tiny pin hole ...
GAS WATCH 13.
WHAT ARE WE WORRIED ABOUT
Sydney Gas/AGL want to:
· Explore for coal seam methane gas by drilling through the water tables risking contamination and/or reduction of the ground water and the Wollombi Brook;
· Drill over 300 production wells about 500 metres apart;
· Inject about 30 million (30,000,000) litres of fresh drinking water into the coal seams – enough to provide for 1500 Singleton families for one year – and in a severe drought;
· Carry the fresh water in and the polluted water out by tanker, some 60,000 over narrow roads where we travel and where school buses travel;
· Build a gas treatment plant;
· Flare off methane gas during the exploration stage, this chased the birdlife out of the Yarramalong Valley;
· SGL/AGL will be here for decades risking the community and devaluing land, possibly making it unsaleable.
· This is only a taste – there will be noise, dust, road building, mudponds, gas gathering lines and pipes, flares, pits, dams, tanks, containers, grease, diesel, petrol, perhaps office buildings and toilet blocks on land being used by SGL/AGL, and more.